Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Hamsa Earrings


Remember when we were kids and we used to play with Shrinky Dinks? They were those little plastic images that we'd put in the oven for a few minutes and watch them as they got smaller and smaller. I recently reconnected with my inner kid and played with stamping images on polyshrink (the same material that Shrinky Dinks were made of).

I decided to try and see what would happen to RubberMoon's Hamsa stamp. I was so delighted with the result that I just had to make a pair of earrings. 

Polyshrink shrinks to about 40% of its original size. You can see below the difference between the original size and the heated size. 


To make the earrings, I simply stamped the polyshrink with StazOn ink. Then I colored it in with colored pencils. Keep in mind when you do this that as the image shrinks, the colors intensify and darken.

Before shrinking the image, I punched a hole at the top to attach the earring findings. It's important to do this before heating, as it's impossible to do after.


All I had to do once the images were shrunk was to attach the earring findings. It took very little time, and now I have unique, lightweight earrings to wear! It's also a ridiculously inexpensive way to make fun jewelry.

Oh, and the gold Hamsa that I first experimented with? 
I turned that into a pin. 

4 comments: