Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Mi Corazón Magnet


True Confession: I'm kind of a magnet junkie. I've collected them from around the world - they're tiny and they travel well! But I also love to make them. A few years back a dear friend of mine sent me some credit card "blanks" and said, "Here, Creative Girl... see what you can do with these."

So, naturally, I did. They are inexpensive and tons of fun to alter and embellish - I've long since purchased quite a few of them from the eBay gods. And, when I began playing around using alcohol inks on them? Well, let's just say that I can be a little fixated when I'm having fun working with a medium that I love.

When I saw Kae Pea's new designs over at RubberMoon, my first thought, and a giddy thought it was, was, "Magnets! Those would be perfect for magnets!"

I began by coating my blank with red and yellow alcohol inks. You could always do this with glossy cardstock, but I like that the plastic holds up so well.


After adding a few drops of blending solution, I simply picked up the blank and tilted it until the colors ran where I wanted them. I then blotted up extra ink with a paper towel. The alcohol inks dry faster than I can type this sentence, so it's a really fast process.


I stamped the heart onto the background using StazOn. This you can't substitute - it's necessary to use a solvent based ink on the plastic or it just won't stick at all. (And don't try to heat-emboss the blanks. They melt. Don't ask me how I know... just trust me on this one.)

I also stamped a heart onto a piece of scrap paper, which I then cut out and used as a mask when I stamped the flames. I colored in the flames with sharpies and then added some bling with Stickles.


I stamped the sentiment on cardstock and freehand cut it out to make a little banner which I then glued on. I used last month's RubberMoon Mail Club stamp to add a little extra interest to the background. I added my embellishments, glued magnets to the back, and I was done!

How about you? What sets your artistic heart on fire? Happy crafting!

RubberMoon Stamps Used

Mi Corazón
Doodle Heart
Flames

Other Products Used

Ranger Alcohol Inks & Blending Solution
StazOn Inks
Sharpies
Stickles

4 comments:

  1. We love magnets too and loved seeing your creative ways to make them! This is so fun. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will be more... your stamps lend themselves perfectly to making magnets!

      Delete