Friday, December 5, 2014

Dimensional ATCs - RubberMoon Stamps & Imagine Crafts, Cross Promotion



IMAGINE Crafts and RubberMoon Art Stamps are excited to share with you the amazing projects that our design teams have created to kick off the Holiday Season! Over the next few days, we'll be sharing with you inspiration and techniques using IMAGINE Crafts' line of ink products featuring rubber stamps from RubberMoon. Be sure to visit the IMAGINE Crafts and RubberMoon blogs daily for more projects and ideas!


"Dimensional ATCs"

by Martice Smith II


Hello friends! This is Martice, sharing two examples of how to add a simple dimensional effect to your artist trading cards (ATCs). Let's get started!

For my examples, I used Bristol ATCs, measuring 2.5" x 3.5" and 2" x 2" art square from Inchie Arts, LLC.

No need to prime or prep the surface of these cards...Just jump right in and create!

Artist Trading Cards and Twinchies from Inchie Arts
Artist Trading Cards and Twinchies from Inchie Arts

For the first Dimensional ATC, I chose these stamps:

RubberMoon Stamps in "Dimensional ATCs" by Martice Smith II
Large Fern
Frida
Kae Pea - Wings

This ATC was created with a layer of paper, matboard, plastic and stamped images.

"Watch me GROW" Dimensional ATC by Martice Smith II
"Watch me GROW" Dimensional ATC

* Starting with an artist trading card (ATC), I lightly dabbed the surface and sides with Memento Luxe ink pad in Bahama Blue.

* Next, I mixed chartruese green and phathalo blue to create a subtle ombre effect. I used a sponge dabber to apply the mixture of paint onto the Large Fern stamp.

* I stamped the Frida stamp onto white paper, colored with Prismacolor colored pencils, added some doodling with a white ink pen and cut out the image with an craft knife. She's attached to a 2" x 2" art square, sprayed with irRESISTible Colored Texture Sprays: Electric Yellow (Neon).

* In the bottom corners, I used a Chinese metal stamp that reads "Growth".

(Each layer was added with foam dots, to give dimensionality.)

I love the look of the butterfly wings! It was a little experiment for me - I was trying out different inkpads to see which one worked the best on the surface of the Vertigo Sheets (from Imagine Crafts). I decided to go with VersaFine in Onyx Black. After a few minutes, the ink started to "bleed" and darken, so, I quickly sprayed it with varnish. (The wings' edges were painted in liquid gold leaf.)



For the second Dimensional ATC, I used these stamps:

RubberMoon Stamps in "Dimensional ATCs" by Martice Smith II
Dogwood Blossoms, top
Alphabet, bottom
 and my very own, homemade washi tape!

Homemade washi tape in "Dimensional ATCs" by Martice Smith II
Homemade washi tape, made from masking tape
* I blotted the Alphabet stamp in irRESISTible Colored Texture Sprays: Lady Bug (red) and stamped it onto the ATC, flipped the stamp upside down and stamped in another area- just to give it some character and visual interest.

* Next, I added a strip of washi tape near the bottom, a few sprays of Shimmer in silver and sparkle, and a light splattering of black gesso in select areas.  

* I stamped Dogwood Blossoms on a scrap piece of gessoed phone book paper and applied two foam dots to adhere. Look at this sassy ATC!

detail of "Blossoming" ATC by Martice Smith II
detail of "Blossoming" ATC

I just love how my homemade washi tape holds up!
If you look closely, you can see that some of the letters appear to have a red drop shadow. This simple illusion was created by slightly offsetting the washi tape over the stamped area (in red).

The finished ATC looks like this:

"Blossoming" Dimensional ATC by Martice Smith II
"Blossoming" ATC

 
I hope you've enjoyed these two examples!
Peace to you and happy creating!

---
Supplies:
Bristol Vellum surface, ATC (2.5" x 3.5")
2" x 2" Art Square from Inchie Arts, LLC.
irRESISTible Colored Texture Sprays: Lady Bug and Electric Yellow (Neon); Imagine Crafts
Memento Luxe inkpad: Bahama Blue
VersaFine Pigment inkpad: Onyx Black
Black gesso

Vertigo Sheet from Imagine Crafts
Metal Chinese Stamps
Sheer Shimmer Spritz - Silver and Sparkle
Foam dots - small

RubberMoon stamps:
kp5025 - frida
Large Fern - Art Stamp
Kae Pea - "Wings" - Rubber Art Stamp

ge2234 - dogwood blossoms
rm2594 - rubbermoon alphabet

8 comments: