Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Origami Gift Boxes by Martice Smith II

Hi! Martice here, reminding you: it's about that time, friends! The holidays are right around the corner and people are getting ready for gift-giving.



I've always loved a beautifully hand-made gift...who doesn't?! Especially when the gift comes from someone who cherishes YOU just as much as the gift they are giving.





Origami Gift Boxes; Artist Martice Smith II




Today, I'm sharing what's on my desk: Origami Gift Boxes!! These are super easy ("last-minute-gifts") to make and I love making them because each part is hand-crafted + I can embellish them however I want.



No two will ever be the same and as a bonus to me, folding paper can be a great stress reliever...especially around this time of year!



I folded several sheets of 12x12 inch scrapbook paper to create these one-of-a-kind origami gift boxes. Some are commercially printed sheets but I adore the gelli printed ones I created myself, so of course I had to use them too.




Origami Gift Boxes by Martice Smith II; add glitter embellishment




For the happy snowman box, I applied a string of silver Craft Twinkles Glitter Paint (DecoArt) along all four edges of the lid, after I did all the folding.



Black gesso, is now, one of my 'go-to' mediums when I'm working with anything that has glitter on it. The black gesso (DecoArt) dries to an opaque, matte finish and I love the smooth consistency. It's a perfect contrasting element to use with any glitter or sparkly sprays because it allows the glitter to take center stage and shine, shine, shine!




Origami Gift Boxes by Martice Smith II




I sprayed White irRESISTible Colored Texture Spray and Sheer Shimmer Spritz in Sparkle (both from Imagine Crafts) on a piece of lightweight paper that I had dry brushed with black gesso. I was excited to learn that the irRESISTible Colored Texture Spray dries very quick AND has incredible texture!



This paper was used to line the insides of the origami gift boxes. How extravagant!


Origami Gift Boxes by Martice Smith II



The box's base was made from collaged magazine pages and covered with tracing paper I painted Lipstick red. I like how the layering of these two papers interact with each other: the text gives a contemporary edge while the soft transparency of the tracing paper keeps it toned down yet allows some energy to still be present.




Origami Gift Boxes by Martice Smith II; graffiti and gelli prints


Another box is created from my stash of gelli prints. I added my graffiti script with a Micron brush pen.

Origami Gift Boxes by Martice Smith II; graffiti and gelli prints

The inside is lined with sparkly paper and commercial scrapbook paper.



Tags were made with recycled cardstock from product packaging. I used the Tags & Labels stencil (Americana Mixed Media), threaded mini jingle bells and glass berry beads on the embroidery floss for some festive charm.


To complete my Origami Gift Boxes, I stamped Snowmen w/ Scarf in Onyx Black onto the white tag. Look how much fun he's having in the snow! I love the snow and can't wait to jump in it myself!




Origami Gift Boxes by Martice Smith II
Snowmen w/ Scarf stamp




Origami Gift Boxes; tag with RubberMoon Snowman stamp; by Martice Smith II



 
Origami Gift Boxes by artist Martice Smith II




Origami Gift Boxes by Martice Smith II

 A smaller piece of the sparkly paper was folded to create a pull tab for the lid and glued on top of the embroidery floss.


I hope this project has encouraged you to present your gifts in a more personalized way.



Do you like gifting hand-made items to your friends and family?



Happy holidays!

----------
Products used:

RubberMoon Stamp: 
ge2747 - snowmen w/scarve

Tsukineko/Imagine Crafts:
White irRESISTible Colored Texture Spray, Sheer Shimmer Spritz - Sparkle, VersaFine Archival Instant Dry Pigment Ink - Onyx Black

DecoArt Products:
Black Gesso, Craft Twinkles Glitter Paint Writer, Bahama Blue
(Americana Multi-Surface Satin Acrylic Paints: Chartreuse & Lipstick)

Stencil:
Tags & Labels (Americana Mixed Media)

Other:
"Snowman Sam" and "Black & White Sketchy Ornate" 12x12 inch scrapbook paper (The Paper Studio), Selection of gelli printed papers, White cardstock, embroidery floss, glass berry beads

5 comments:

  1. This project is FABULOUS! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would be thrilled to receive this as a gift!! Even if the box was empty!! Thank you Martice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful boxes. I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete