Sunday, November 30, 2014

Masked Ball - By Barb Black


IMAGINE Crafts and RubberMoon Art Stamps are excited to share with you the amazing projects that our design teams have created to kick off the Holiday Season! Over the next few days, we'll be sharing with you inspiration and techniques using IMAGINE Crafts' line of ink products featuring rubber stamps from RubberMoon. Be sure to visit the IMAGINE Crafts and RubberMoon blogs daily for more projects and ideas!

************************

I've been playing with masks, Rubbermoon stamps, and IMAGINE Crafts products and some Gina's Designs laser cuts... and I've been having a ball!

It all started in October when I bought some inexpensive paper pulp masks. It so happened that they arrived right around the same time as a whole bunch of goodies from the above-mentioned companies. I dove in and only emerged when I was told that it was time for dinner.


For this one, I began by painting the mask with a sponge using dark blue, purple, and black acrylic paint. 

Once dry, I stamped stars all over it using Rubbermoon's star stamp from the Dust Collection set and Silvery Shimmer Delicata ink. I wasn't sure I needed another metallic inkpad, but, wow! The Delicata metallics really stand out and I love them.


After the ink dried completely, I drew in some light "veins" (for lack of a better word) with Black Diamond Stickles. I drew on eyelashes with Diamond Stickles. 

I gave the "cheeks" a few spritzes of IMAGINE Craft's Sheer Shimmer Spritz in silver. Then I glued on some rhinestones that I've been hoarding for a few years.



For this next mask, I was itching to go all steampunk with some of Gina's Designs Texture Sheet Gears.

I began by sponging metallic copper acrylic paint all over the sheet of gears.


I let it dry slightly and sprayed it with IMAGINE Craft's irRESISTible in bronze. IMAGINE Craft's irRESISTible sprays stay beaded up for texture. In this case, it makes it look like the gears were victim to an oil leak. Pretty cool, huh?!


I set the gears aside to dry and went to work on the mask. I began by spraying the blank mask all over with IMAGINE Craft's Sheer Shimmer Spritz in silver. 

I used Tim Holtz masks and sponged on thin copper and gold acrylic paint for some of the gears.

I outlined the eyes with Black Diamond Stickles and made little metallic beads with Copper Liquid Pearls.

I cut out the gears to fit the face and glued them on. Once they were in place, I filled some of the holes with IMAGINE Crafts Pico Embellisher in black, and with a few rhinestones.


After playing a little with the IMAGINE Crafts Pico Embellisher, I decided to go a little crazy with it. So, I did another butterfly mask.


For this one, I sponge-painted the mask with various shades of yellow and orange. Then I sprayed it liberally with IMAGINE Craft's Sheer Shimmer Spritz in gold. 

Once it was dry, I doodled all over the lower half and drew "veins" on the top half using IMAGINE Craft's Pico Embellisher in both black and white. I also outlined the entire piece with the Pico Embellisher. 

I added dabs of other colors using Liquid Pearls.

Again, I finished it off by gluing some rhinestones in place.


I hope you've had as much fun looking at these as I had making them. To see other projects I've done, please check out my blog at In the Studio with Barb. Thanks!

17 comments:

  1. Barb these are truly works of art! hugs, Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They're so much fun to work on.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Well... now I'm utterly flattered! Thank you!!

      Delete
  3. These are so cool! Fun Share and great way to use Gina's texture sheets and that awesome shimmer!! TYFS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many fun things to play with... so little time! Thank YOU!!

      Delete
  4. I think I have died and gone to Heaven!! All three of these are absolutely stunning!!! Where oh where did you get those butterfly masks? I have been searching for something like them and am itching to give my credit card a workout buying some of these!!! THANKS FOR SHARING THESE BEAUTIES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Just google "paper pulp masks"... they're everywhere.

      Delete
  5. You are SO Creative! Love these Barb!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Barb, these masks are wonderful! Look out Mardi Gras! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brenda! I feel a New Year's Eve party comin' on.

      Delete
  7. such stunning and amazing work! wow! i love it. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Each and every one a new inspiration! Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WHOA! These are incredible!! I love the amount of detail you always add to your work, Barb. Each one is so different but they all seem to work together so well :) I wanna wear one!

    ReplyDelete