Friday, October 31, 2014

A TREAT of a project from Debra V.

RubberMoon Arts is very excited to share this TREAT from the original Moon Goddess, Debra Valoff!
Here Debra shares with you her creative ideas and process for repurposing art and imagery into fabulous folders you can not only have fun making these but you can use and enjoy them every day. Your office supplies never looked sooo good!!
Having lots of wonderful mail art and snippets of projects/ideas I wanted to do something with it that I could enjoy, rather than being in a box that only gets looked at a couple of times a year.  Since I use file folders a lot I figured they would be the perfect way to see all of my fun mail often and serve a useful purpose at the same time.
So the first thing you need to do is select a bunch of loot that would work and that you'd be willing to cut into. The cutting wasn't as hard as I thought it would be because I knew I was turning it into something else that I could still enjoy.  Another huge plus is getting to use small snippets of art that would otherwise be difficult to use.

Luckily office supply stores carry a nice selection of colored file folders so select a color that will compliment your chosen pieces.
Next select pieces that will work for your folder and arrange them in a pleasing way for you. Don't overlook the backs of envelopes or little play pieces you stamped and buried in a pile. After they're the way you want, dab with a glue stick to keep them in place.
*I secured mine in the end by stitching them down so if you don't plan on using a sewing machine please take more time and use a good glue to attach them.

There are tons of great decorative tapes on the market and if you're like me, you probably own half of them! Go grab some and get busy attaching pieces here and there.
Now grab some awesome RubberMoon stamps and embellish some of the blank spaces that are needing attention. Since my folder is a dark color I decided to use a lot of white ink (which I had to cover with a spray fixative since I didn't want to emboss). I also ran a sewing marking tool through some black ink for more added interest and some consistency. (The dot dot dot tool I used in a recent Lynn Whipple class and I want to use it on everything now!)
My last step was to stitch the paper pieces down using a zigzag stitch ( 3.1 wide, 3.1 long) with black thread. When I finished, the back side of the folder wanted to curl but I simply put weight on it for an hour or two and then it was fine.

TA DA!!!
All done and ready to use.


Thank you Debra, your art and projects are ALWAYS a treat!


7 comments:

  1. You are so Talented Debra! Thank you for sharing with us:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great idea! I will have to "emulate" you... I have tons of cool stuff too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful idea, Debra!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see you're keeping busy, the creative wheels turning. What a good, useful idea. Thank you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. My plain ol' manila folders are jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is cool because all those lil' pieces of art hanging around that I didn't have the heart to throw away-now have a good place to live without cluttering up my spaces.! Great project Debra.

    ReplyDelete