Friday, August 29, 2014

Give Peas A Chance


Hi! I'm Barb Black and I'm delighted to be one of the new RubberMoon Creative Dream Team members.  I think the most difficult thing I had to do for this first post was to decide which RubberMoon stamp(s) to use first!  It really wasn't that much of a challenge, I guess.


I love wordplay, so as soon as I saw Gretchen Ehrsam's "Give Peas A Chance" stamp, I knew the direction I was taking.  Pairing it with Sunny Carvalho's whimsical pea pod stamp was a no-brainer.



And so, this card was born.








For this card I used the following supplies: 



Glossy white card stock,
Green card stock,
Black card stock,
Water-based green ink pad,
Craft (or chalk style) white ink pad,
StazOn Jet Black ink pad, 
Green water-based markers in two different shades, 
A black Sharpie,
Sequin waste, and 
Sponges








I began by stamping the saying and pea pods on the glossy white paper, using the black ink.  I used StazOn because it doesn't run or bleed when I color over it with anything water-based.  I then colored in the pods and the peas and carefully outlined the piece using my Sharpie.








Once that was done, I set it aside to work on the background pieces.  This is where good ol' messy fun comes in (my favorite pastime).


First I did a rough tear across one edge of the black cardstock just to give it some quirky interest.


Then, using the white ink on the black, and the green ink on the green, I set the sequin waste over each piece and dabbed the inks through the holes with a piece of sponge.








I love using sequin waste for backgrounds!  It's ridiculously inexpensive, which always gets my attention.  As you can see, I used the same piece for both colors.  I simply wiped it off with a clean damp cloth in between uses.  You can probably also tell that I've used this same piece many, many times before. Once upon a time it was white.



Sequin waste is just what it sounds like - it's the "ribbon" of hole-y plastic that remains after sequins are punched out.  Just as different sized sequins are available, so are pieces of sequin waste with different sized holes.  The possibilities are endless!



After all that, the only thing left to do was to glue the layers of my card together, find time to write a quick note, and send the happy little thing off to brighten someone's day.



I hope this gives you inspiration for new projects of your own.  Life is messy - join in!




18 comments:

  1. I Love Everything about this Barb! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it Barb! Such a cute saying too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!! What a creative girl you are!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sunny! So delighted to finally have a chance to play with your stamps.

      Delete
  4. Love this! Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great card! I love the background!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna! I'm a little bit of an addict when it comes to playing with backgrounds.

      Delete
  6. I love it! Thank you for explaining 'sequin waste'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I discovered it a couple of years ago in an online tutorial. I can't believe I ever lived without it!

      Delete
    2. I didn't know what it was either. Who knew?

      Delete
  7. Great idea to use sequin waste for the background. What a cute saying about peas. I love word plays, too!! I saw a print today of an illustration with lettuce and peas, competing in a race. It was titled "lettuce give peas a chance". Too cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh please let this card be in my mailbox!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool! My crafty spidey sense tingled when you mentioned sequin waste, and I instinctively knew what it was, but I'd never actually seen it before today. All the sequins I buy are loose or on a single thread. I'll have to look for the punch out kind so I, too, can have endless possibilities with sequin waste. Great post!

    ReplyDelete