Friday, July 11, 2014

Summertime Ode











Summer means scattered projects everywhere...some long and some shorter.  I have a lot of gifts to make in the summer, so I like pieces that look like they took longer to make than they really do!  That's the crux of today's project. That, and clean lines.

My studio is so cluttered right now that I want a project that isn't.  So I  spent the day in solitude, listening to music from days gone by, and knocked out several gifts to stockpile. 

You can't tell from the beauty shot, but the final card is actually dimensional and mounted on a 4" x 4" birch cradle.  I buy birch cradle by the pack of six at Dick Blick or the like.  They are great to have around when you want a piece to stand or they can be wired for hanging.








This project involves a  little bit of cutting and a few supplies, but really comes together quickly. 

The first thing I did after the above "materials picture" was to use gel medium to affix the black glossy paper to the 4" x 4" birch cradle panel. 

Then I cut some satin white cardstock into three pieces so it would nest well during construction. 

The outer piece is a  3-3/8" square, then a 3" square, and finally a 2-¼ square.  I also cut a 1/2" wide narrow strip.


I did all my stamping with black Ranger Archival Ink.  The music square and statement were stamped first on the smallest paper. I then followed with a repeated clef motif (Nancy Curry Art) on the strip, and finished with the flowers (along the perimeter as a frame of sorts).



















Then I layered them all onto the black glossy paper using ScorTape.  I used cushion to raise the center square up from the other layers.  The final touch was to add a brass treble clef which I attached with matte medium. 








Put them all together and you have your finished gift.  It took me about 30 minutes to complete my part and then it was ready after just a couple of hours drying time.








Simple.  Uncluttered.  Classic.  Now, if my studio could be described in the same way.


Check out RubberMoon Art Stamps for other stamps that go well together and look for me, here.


2 comments:

  1. This is so lovely in its simplicity! Looks like very little treble to make an awesome gift!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet little project! I adore this!!!

    ReplyDelete