Monday, November 25, 2013

Artsy Gifts for Writers - and Honoring Anne Frank with Precious Pieces

For the month of NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month), writing has been heavy on my mind. When I was little, my interest in art and writing grew up together - side by side. So it's only natural that I want to include writing and art together, whether it's with an illustrated book, art journal, or any of my other crafty/artsy projects.
One of my favorite Rubbermoon stamps is this cute little typewriter, of course. And for the month of NaNoWriMo, I thought it would be fun to create a little series focused around my personal hero, Anne Frank. I believe it was Anne Frank's famous Diary that began my own personal passion of journal writing. In my heart, that girl will always be a historical role model of mine. Her personal expression and her innocent heart has inspired so many, she seems very worthy to be honored with art.
For this little project, I thought it would be fun to create a series of artsy magnets to go along with a series of Anne Frank paintings I've been creating (Art to Inspire Writers).
Here is my quick and easy process, below.
Again, I am a full-time working mom with a lot going on on the side, so when I do something crafty for fun, it has to be done in easy, quick snippets of time.

Gesso 3x3 wooden piece after/before sanding edges.
1. Sand down a batch of 3"x3" wooden squares. You can get these at any big craft store. Then apply Gesso to the side you wish to paint. I simply used my finger to apply the gesso, while getting ready for work in the bathroom. This worked well for me time-wise. The Gesso was able to dry while I was at work, and when I got home I could think about when to fit in time to paint them.

sponge painting the base
2.  Use a sponge piece (I just cut up a kitchen sponge to use) to brush/dab on painted background, using varied colors of acrylic paint. Acrylic dries quickly and is also easy to write on afterward with permanent marker. I didn't apply the paint thickly, as not to get a textured surface (since I knew I wanted to write on it).

Add Rubbermoon Stamp!



3. I should have waited a bit longer to apply the rubber stamp, but I was getting too excited. I think that's why I got a bit more of a textured stamp effect than I wanted originally, but I like the outcome anyway. I made sure to place the Rubbermoon stamp in a different space on every piece, just in case I end up selling them on Etsy (I want them each to look original).

Use Pitt marker to write quotes on the pieces.
4. After Letting the paint dry overnight, to be sure I wouldn't wreck my marker (I used a Faber-Castell fine-tipped Pitt marker), I looked up some Anne Frank quotes and hand-wrote my favorites onto the pieces. I ended up with five, but could easily have done much more than that if I'd had more square pieces to begin with. I'm wanting to definitely go back for more squares to have a ball making these for Christmas gifts. I can imagine making a bunch with angel images instead. They would make great ornaments or magnets.
I chose in the end to make these as magnets. I cut up some Darice 4"x6" Adhesive-Backed Magnet pages. Again, I like simple!

Now, not only do I have a nice collection of art magnets to give away as gifts or sell on my Etsy shop - but I also have a great new writer-themed stamp to display on my writing desk. I can see that the rubber stamp itself would make a nice little stocking stuffer for any passionate writer. It makes a nice little ornament for the desk!


13 comments:

  1. Wonderful idea! We love this so much!! Thank you Wendy for inspiring us!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I REALLY like this idea! Great Job Wendy. This is one of my favorite stamps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to write, too, so this resonated with me. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute! and I love the idea of turning it into a magnet! Thanks Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this and thanks for the creative idea for Christmas presents - I think I'm going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. would LOVE*LOVE to win. love ALL of the stamps. crazy bonkerz over them. ..do i follow on google for this , or another way to follow ???? BLESSINGS !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy :) thank you so much! Did you follow us up on the blog there where it says "follow the moon" !! and on our facebook page too !!

      Delete
  7. Love your bitsy typewriter! And of course all of your stamps. xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, nice! I love Anne Frank too. Inspirational post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely and inspiring post!
    Wonderful backgrounds...perfect with the typewriter stamp and lettering. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute idea, and great use of time...perhaps we can all take a lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wendy-you are amazing and your talent inspires me!!!

    ReplyDelete