Tuesday, November 26, 2013

A Winter Shrine

Yes, I'm feeling the darkening of days.  We are down to about 7 hours of daylight in later November and still a month out from Winter Solstice.  This week even brought our first significant snowfall which has since melted with the rains and the winds that have returned.

So in response, a winter shrine.

The first step in this process is to paint a layer of Gesso on tin.  for this project, I popped the lid off from an Altoids tin and painted the base.


I rolled out my Polymer clay and using molds, fashioned tiny moon heads and wings.  These I spray painted and later added additional colors as needed.


Back to the Altoids tin, I added five layers of color using metallic acrylics:  blue, gold, red, green and violet.  It was my hope to achieve a northern lights effect. 


From there, the most creative piece comes into play:  design.  Directly to the back of the tin, I stamped Rubbermoon's Houses at Night (RM2827) and Paint Splatter.  To paper, I stamped New Moon.  I added a sprinkling of confetti stars to they sky for good measure, for what is moon without stars?


To the front and interior of tin, I added Rubbermoon's stamped image for Woman Crow on Boat (GE2772) and stamped directly to tin Once in a Blue Moon.  Another handful of stars added here.  A layer of gel medium should be used for good measure, just to seal the work that has been done.


Shrine is then ready for bookshelf, gifting, or winter!  Here is an image of the front and back of the shrine:

 
Grab a hot cup of tea and visit the Rubbermoon blog for all kinds of creative goodness.

11 comments:

  1. Completely in love with this tin! Thank you Kersten for a fantastic, creative tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I LOVE shrines, and have never made one of my own! I have some tins I've been meaning to work with, and some polymer clay as well. You've got me thinking!! Thanks for the inspiration! What a precious piece of art!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! thanks for explaining how you made it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I just love this. Great explanation and I second the comment on polymer clay!!! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE. IT! Yet another very educational and inspiring post! Thank you Kersten!
    Now I will share.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, if you were selling this, I would be first in line to beg for it!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do like the colors you used on the tins. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice. Love both sides and how they are so full of emotion. xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful piece and you really did capture the colors of the Northern Lights. Great combination of images. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I knew there was a reason for hoarding all those altoid tins! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete